This is my attempt to write study plan which might be useful to anyone preparing for GATE full time.
- Reading toppers strategy, deciding own strategy,deciding books etc (15 days) -> In this initial phase aspirants should read all old toppers blog / experiences regarding GATE preparation, read http://www.gatecse.in/ and decide what books/video lectures/materials they are going to prepare. They can make rough plan about what to do in remaining year.
- Full time preparation (6-7 Months) -> In this time student need to actually prepare every subject.
- Repeat for every subject
- Watch lectures form http://www.gatecse.in/best-video-lectures-for-gate-cse/ or any other source for lectures
- Read reference books, refer http://books.gatecse.in/ for list.
- Solve reference book questions
- Solve Newgradiance questions
- Solve TIFR Questions
- Solve Previous year GATE questions from Gateoverflow
- Prepare notes if required, but MUST prepare flashcards according to strategy given here by Pragy Agrawal -> https://cdn.rawgit.com/AgarwalPragy/GATE16Tips/master/Tips.html
- If time permits, give subject wise tests (Not necessary after doing steps 1-7)
- Keep revising flashcards of all subjects whatever ready
- Time allocation to every subject -> Change order , no of days according to time available. Total days => 165 days + 15 days as buffer. This is based on my experience of last year.
- Discrete Maths -> 15 days
- TOC – >15 days
- Compiler -> 15 days
- Databases -> 10 days
- Data Structures -> 10 Days
- Programming -> 10 days
- Algorithms -> 15 days
- Computer Network -> 15 days
- Operating system -> 15 days
- Digital Logic -> 10 days
- CO -> 15 days
- Engineering Maths ( calculus, LA , Continious Probability) -> 10 days
- Aptitude + English -> 10 days
- Repeat for every subject
- First revision (2 months) ->
- Re-read every reference book once if possible
- Solve all GATE questions again from Gateoverflow for each subject.
- Keep revising Flashcards.
- Start giving 1 full length test per week. This will be best idea. Do analyze this full length test in detail.
- Final revision (Assuming 1-2 months remaining)
- Revise flashcards of all subject as many times possible.
- Start solving Random GATE questions, use Random question book Generated by Gateoverflow.
- Continue giving 1 Full Length test every week.
- Try to read PPT’s from reference book/ summary of reference books if possible
If you prepare like this not only you’ll learn all subject very well, but also due to solving reference book + TIFR + Newgradiance questions along with previous year questions, you’ll be very clear with all concepts. So you’ll not fear the exam. I prepared very similar to this and it works. Of course it is hard way, but if you prepare hard way, GATE will be very easy !
Update -> GATEoverflow is adding Full length tests in previous year Papers, I strongly advice you that keep last 3-4 years GATE questions (Say from GATE 13-16) untouched and use them as mock exams along with this test series. This real Exams will be much more effective.
Exams link by Gateoverflow -> http://gateoverflow.in/view-exams